The undeniable impact of the pandemic
The pandemic has brought a transformation in everyone’s lives. Organizations have faced huge challenges to keep up with the normalcy of work and adjusting their employees to it. Along with some potentially negative impacts in the smooth functioning of regular work, it has opened a door towards innovation, sustainability and brought a technological revolution in all the fields.
With the lingering uncertainty in the situation, businesses have explored possible methods to overcome the setbacks caused and amplify growth. The major fields that have overcome this uncertainty, reimagined work, and introduced a new digital-age trend after the pandemic are listed here.
Present situations call for limited physical access for any activity and this will change the future of shopping and retail. Although contactless payments systems are already being used by people, the impact of COVID19 has accelerated its rate of use which will increase in the future.
- Customers at shopping places would now witness usage of their mobile phones as self-scanning devices for payment, digital kiosks, that removes one physical touchpoint for the customer and shopkeeper. Amazon’s Just Walk Out system is an IoT system for shopping that allows putting your things in your physical cart, while it tracks it in a virtual cart.
- Online deliveries are also transforming by sending parcels to their customers and acknowledging it online itself. Another change that has taken place is the collaboration of online platforms with local sellers to send the customer’s requirements faster, safer and better prices.
- Hotels are adapting to use contactless methods to prevent their staff and guests from unnecessary physical contact. Payments are done through NFC, the guest bookings and requirements by bots, etc. Nuvola is a hotel management software that launched Nuvola checklists, a tool to monitor and manage safety standards in a hotel.
Digital health in detecting COVID-19.
Healthcare is the central focus in the pandemic situation and technology has taken great strides in by providing diagnosis and treatment on time.
- Disinfection is done by mobile robots in areas that require sanitization to prevent the spread.
- Video-chat diagnosis is becoming a common procedure taken up by doctors for patients who are being treated for COVID19 and monitor their progress.
- Faster test results are a major concern and by using quick point-of care tests and employing automation are helpful. Ginkgo offers revolutionary testing methods with an online digital integrated platform to provide test results in very less time and help communities.
- According to Healthcare IT News, digital wearables are now providing clinical grade results to monitor patients and know their health condition, before being infected and calculate recovery progress.
The Human-AI collaboration
With the urgency to keep running operations with lesser human help, the pandemic has acted as a catalyst for the use of AI in certain industries, starting from health, retail, research, electronics, manufacturing process, etc. As an example in the health industry, Sight Diagnostics has developed an AI-based blood diagnostic device that can provide lab-level results of CBC (Complete Blood Count) from finger-prick samples in a matter of time.
- The retail industry is also heading towards exploring machine learning for demand forecasting. Retail businesses have adopted the concept of smart marketing campaigns to optimize the whole shopping process, logistics, customer relationship management, etc. With the help of data gathered from the customers’ shopping trends, market and POS data, economic factors, etc., the demand forecasting becomes accurate.
- Smarter Cities powered with technology: Because of the pandemic, the government has stepped up to provide newer synergies and mitigating measures with the help of digital technology. Smart cities are built with the help of AI.
- Data collected from traffic, weather, crime, etc. guides in decision-making processes. Platforms are developed which gather the relevant data and apply it to offer medical help, testing kits, monitor quarantine locations, and store this data into an accessible database. This data is shared through a cloud network and is accessible to increase insight, help in decision making to take protective measures, get notified of the present situation, perform self-assessments, and prevent further outbreaks.
- Drones are used to monitor people, check their temperature, and send updates to the officials. Such initiatives are taken up by South Korea and Singapore to lower their mortality rates.
Robotics and 5G Connectivity
The growth of automation and robotic devices has strengthened due to the effect of the pandemic.
- Hospitals have employed robotic nurses for treating patients and to get regular health updates, they are also used to sterilize hospital premises.
- Robots, combined with IoT and 5G networks are moving ahead to bring digital readiness in the current world.
- Mobile connectivity is transforming to bring people together, get solutions to complex issues, use the internet at affordable rates, etc. A use case of it is seen by AIS (Advanced Info Services) Bangkok, where they have installed 5G equipment at hospitals for seamless treatment of Corona patients through telemedicine.
- RPA (Robotic Process Automation) is one such area which is boosting the efficiency of organization amidst this crisis as well as playing a pivotal part. Along with the help in clinical testing, it is also helping to fulfill customer demands, customer support as the economy stabilizes and enhances the supply chain.
AR / VR / XR (Augmented Reality/ Virtual Reality/ Mixed Reality)
With the lack of personal touch and limited human interaction, immersive technologies are the next step towards education, gaming, business meetings, travel, and other activities that take place.
- The Educational field is already on the path in offering AI/ VR based education and transforming it to develop curiosity in the knowledge provided to them.
- The concept of travel and tours will also take immense modification. Virtual and immersive tours with the help of XR will be in great demand and also a necessity. Some museums like the British Museum and National Gallery in London, the Vatican Museum in Rome are providing this experience already.
- While AR, VR technologies have made its mark, XR is also a great addition in replicating the physical experience to be fully engaged with others. Like, business meetings equipped with XR will provide the ultimate experience of being in the room and understanding the body language of the person when they speak.
The sudden pandemic has unknowingly acted as a catalyst for unprecedented growth to identify technologies that will establish the most effective solutions. Our team at CQ Infotech offers exceptional IT consulting, Cloud, Technical, IT security, DevOps services, etc. that align with your organizational requirements to offer simple solutions.
CQ Infotech – Your Partner in Innovation